Introduction for New Local Officers
October 14-15-English, October 28-29-French, November 8-Bilingual
Despite the pandemic, the life of our Locals has continued. Presidents have retired, treasurers have left their positions after accepting employment with another employer, new shop stewards have taken over; in short, many members have taken on new responsibilities. How can the PSAC support these new leaders so that they can effectively represent their members?
Who is this training for?
This training is intended only for Local elected officers who has been elected during the last 18 months.
This is a virtual course of three days over a period of one month; the first two days are consecutive and can be taken in the language of your choice (English or French). On the third day, participants from both sessions will be grouped and the training will be offered with interpretation.
This training aims to:
- Enable Local union executives to discuss the challenges of running a local and mobilizing members when many are not present in the workplace;
- Introduce Local Officers to the services offered by the PSAC and its regional offices:
- Support provided by Regional Representatives;
- The role of the Representation Section in the grievance process;
- How Program Officers assist members;
- How the negotiating section is already preparing for the upcoming PSAC collective bargaining rounds.
- Present the PSAC’s priorities for the pandemic period and beyond:
- Ensuring that those who need to return to the workplace can do so safely;
- Ensuring that Local Health and Safety Committees are consulted in the development of return-to-work plans;
- Advocate the importance for the Canadian government to put in place measures to support the most vulnerable people hit hardest by the pandemic and to improve financial support, the health care system and accessible and universal childcare services, and;
- Outline the PSAC’s plan to hold the National Triennial Convention in 2022.
- Discuss the role of Local leaders in the political structure of the PSAC:
- Introduce the Regional Council;
- Info on the dates and theme of the next Triennial National Congress;
- A discussion with the Regional Executive Vice-President, Alex Silas.
|October 14-15||9:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.||English|
|October 28-29||9:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.||French|
|November 8||9:00 a.m. to noon||Bilingual|