Talking Union Basics – hybrid format (February)
February 23 and 24, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm and Saturday, February 25, 9:00 am to noon
Hydrid (Zoom and in person)
(2 1/2 days)
The TUB is the “cornerstone” of our PSAC Education Program and a prerequisite for most of our other courses. This course will introduce you to the PSAC, its structure, how to become involved and the fundamentals of trade union action. Emphasis is put on members’ rights in the workplace and in the union; on understanding and using the collective agreement and on union mechanisms to obtain and protect rights.
Who is this course for?
This training is intended for all PSAC members, especially new members who are new to the history and structure of this large, pan-Canadian union. You will not be accepted if you have already taken the TUB.
This hybrid version of TUB will allow up to 10 participants to be in person at the Ottawa regional office training room, and another 10 online on Zoom.
The TUB consists of 7 modules of 2 to 3 hours each.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- know why workers need unions,
- understand the basic principles and values of the PSAC,
- know what the PSAC looks like, how it operates, how to participate and who to go to for information and help,
- know their basic rights and how to exercise their rights,
- understand their obligations as union members,
- be able to read, interpret and apply their collective agreement.
This hybrid training offered in person and on Zoom will take place in English on the following dates.
|Thursday, February 23rd||9:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m.||Modules 1, 2 and 3|
|Friday, February 24th||9:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m.||Modules 4, 5 and 6|
|Saturday, February 25th||9:00 a.m. to noon||Module 7 and wrap-up|