Talking Union Basics – Virtual (bilingual) Registration closed
October 6 and 7, 9am to 4:30pm and October 8, 9am to noon
(2 1/2 days)
The TUB is the “cornerstone” of our PSAC Education Program and a prerequisite for most of our other courses. This course will introduce you to the PSAC, its structure, how to become involved and the fundamentals of trade union action. Emphasis is put on members’ rights in the workplace and in the union; on understanding and using the collective agreement and on union mechanisms to obtain and protect rights.
Who is this course for?
This training is intended for all PSAC members, especially new members who are new to the history and structure of this large, pan-Canadian union. You will not be accepted if you have already taken the TUB.
The TUB consists of 7 modules of 2 to 3 hours each.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- know why workers need unions,
- understand the basic principles and values of the PSAC,
- know what the PSAC looks like, how it operates, how to participate and who to go to for information and help,
- know their basic rights and how to exercise their rights,
- understand their obligations as union members,
- be able to read, interpret and apply their collective agreement.
This training offered on Zoom will take place on the following dates.
|Friday, October 6th||9:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m.||Modules 1, 2 and 3|
|Saturday, October 7th||9:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m.||Modules 4, 5 and 6|
|Sunday, October 8th||9:00 a.m. to noon||Module 7 and wrap-up|
Our education program is free of charge. Don’t forget that if you are a PSAC member working with Treasury Board, Parks, CFIA, SSHRC and many other employers, you are entitled to the union leave with pay (or reimbursement) for courses offered during a day of work, and an allowance for courses offered on a day of rest.