Q & A – SSHRC Union Leave with Pay as of October 1, 2018

Social Sciences and Humanities Research CouncilUnion Activists can now participate in Union activities without pay interruption

Having union leave without pay converted to a system whereby the employer puts the member on union leave with pay will ensure that members do not suffer cash flow problems as a result of participating in their Union. The end impact for activists is a simple system for Union leave that will ensure that union participation will not result in cash flow disruptions or negative pension consequences.

Questions and Answers:

What types of union leave are covered by the new invoicing system (member goes on leave with pay and the Employer invoices the Union)?

Article 13.10 provides additional details as to the specific union activities under which union leave will now be without pay interruption as follows:

  • Clause 13.01 (2) Application for certification, representations and interventions
  • Clause 13.05 Contract negotiation meetings
  • Clause 13.06 Preparatory contract negotiation meetings
  • Clause 13.08 Employee organization meetings and conventions
  • Clause 13.09 Representatives’ training courses

IMPORTANT: Members who attend PSAC events and submit Leave with Pay under any of the above clauses must no longer submit loss of salary via the Member Expense Portal. Only non-salary expenses are to be claimed for reimbursement.

How do I request Union Leave from the Employer under the new system?

  • Members will now receive a Union Authorization Letter from the PSAC or the component that is hosting the event, authorizing their participation in the union activity for which a leave with pay is to be requested.
  • Upon receipt of the Union Authorization Letter, the member will enter the leave request for the union activity in the Leave Management System using code 641 and submit an electronic copy of the letter to their delegated manager.
  • The member will enter the following information (referenced in the Union Authorization letter) in the Leave Management System comment box:
    • The name of the union event;
    • The event number / identifier code;
    • The applicable clause of the collective agreement
  • The leave request will be routed to the member’s delegated manager for review.
  • The information entered in the Leave Management System will be used by the employer to invoice the PSAC or component for applicable loss of salary.

I used vacation leave or compensatory leave to participate in PSAC activities. Do these changes affect me?

Yes, members who take vacation or compensatory leave to attend union functions must now submit an approved leave form to substantiate the type of leave taken which requires loss of salary reimbursement. Leave forms should be scanned and submitted by email to Finance-info-Finance@psac-afpc.com, the claim ID (referenced on the confirmation email upon claim submission) should be referenced in the subject line of the email.

What if, at the last minute, I have to cancel my participation in an activity after requesting the leave from my employer?

Illness or other unforeseen circumstances may prevent a member from attending a union event. Members who are unable to participate in part or all of the event are personally responsible for modifying their related leave request in their Leave Management System. The Leave Management System must reflect the actual union leave used by the member in order to ensure the accuracy of the loss of salary invoiced to Public Service Alliance of Canada. The leave recorded in the Leave Management System should only reflect the actual amount of leave required to attend the union event.