Q & A – TB Union Leave with Pay as of January 1 & July 3, 2018

PA, SV, TC, EB and FB Union Activists can now participate in Union activities without pay interruption

Having union leave without pay converted to a system whereby the employer puts the member on union leave with pay and invoices us after the fact is a long standing proposal of PSAC TB and Agency bargaining units. This will ensure that members do not suffer cash flow problems as a result of participating in their Union. This problem has been exacerbated by the current payroll system. As such, the most recent agreements with the TB’s PA, SV, TC, EB and recently FB units include language that changes the process for most union activities to an invoicing system. The end impact for activists is a simple system for Union leave that will ensure that union participation will not result in cash flow disruptions or negative pension consequences. Note that this new system is applicable to Union activities starting as of January 1, 2018 for PA, SV, TC, EB and July 3, 2018 for FB.

Questions and Answers:

What types of union leave are covered by the new invoicing system (member goes on leave with pay and the Employer invoices the Union)?

Article 14.14 (for PA, EB and FB groups) and article 14.15 (for TC and SV groups) provide additional details as to the specific union activities under which union leave will now be without pay interruption as follows:

  • 14.02: representing PSAC on a certification or intervention
  • 14.09: contract negotiation meetings
  • 14.10: preparatory contract negotiation meetings
  • 14.12: Board of Directors and Executive Board meetings and conventions
  • 14.13: representatives’ training courses

IMPORTANT: Depending on the group and as of January 1st or July 3rd 2018, members attending PSAC events covered by any of the above clauses must no longer submit loss of salary via the Member Expense Portal. Only non-salary expenses are to be claimed for reimbursement.

How do I request Union Leave from the Employer under the new system?

  • For applicable events starting January 1st or July 3rd, members will now receive a Union Authorization Letter from PSAC or component that is hosting the event, authorizing their participation in the union activity for which a leave with pay is to be requested.
  • The member will enter the leave request for the union activity in the Leave Management System using code 641 and submit an electronic copy of the letter to their delegated manager.
  • The member will enter the following information (reference in the Union Authorization letter) in the Leave Management System comment box:
    • The name of the union event;
    • The event number / identifier code;
    • The applicable clause of the collective agreement
  • The leave request will be routed to the member’s delegated manager for review.
  • The information entered in the Leave Management System will be used by the employer to invoice the PSAC or component for applicable loss of salary.

What types of Union Leave are not covered by this arrangement?

Union leaves that are already listed as being union leave with pay are not covered by the arrangement nor is union leave without pay associated with grievances. Specifically leave covered under the following clauses:

  • 14.03: member witness before the PSLRB related to certification or intervention
  • 14.04: members representing PSAC before Arbitration Board hearings, PICs, ADR
  • 14.05: witness to Arbitration Board hearings, PICs, ADR
  • 14.06: parties and witnesses to adjudication
  • 14.07 and 14.08: grievances
  • 14.11: meetings with management

Note that the above clauses are unchanged in terms of reimbursement processes.

Does this change impact PSAC payment for days of rest for bargaining and bargaining conferences?

This new invoicing does not impact payment on a day of rest. Those continue to be paid out as per the Administrative guidelines on bargaining expenses:

• For example: Regulation 15 – Article 2.6: Salary Entitlement – Bargaining Conferences and Negotiations
Team members who work and/or travel on a day of rest, shall be compensated at their straight-time rate up to the maximum number of hours prorated based on their average weekly hours.

I use vacation leave or compensatory leave to participate in PSAC activities. Do these changes affect me?

Yes, members who take vacation or compensatory leave to attend union functions must now submit an approved leave form to substantiate the type of leave taken which requires loss of salary reimbursement. Leave forms should be scanned and submitted by email to Finance-info-Finance@psac-afpc.com, the claim ID (referenced on the confirmation email upon claim submission) should be referenced in the subject line of the email.

What if, at the last minute, I have to cancel my participation in an activity after requesting the leave from my employer?

Illness or other unforeseen circumstances may prevent a member from attending a union event. Members who are unable to participate in part or all of the event are personally responsible for modifying their related leave request in their Leave Management System. The Leave Management System must reflect the actual union leave used by the member in order to ensure the accuracy of the loss of salary invoiced to Public Service Alliance of Canada. The leave recorded in the Leave Management System should only reflect the actual amount of leave required to attend the union event.